Chicken breast with eggplant and other vegetables

by Unknown | on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 | | | |

What a creative post title ha? I'm so proud of myself, I'm giving myself a high five right now and am typing with my nose. I at times try to stop this creativity but it just spills out of me, I really can't help it.
Like for example yesterday, when I made this dish you see upstairs.

You are probably wondering what this is.

It's a salad! No it's a chicken!...It's an airplane! No it's superchicken with supereggpant!

Truth is, whatever it is, it is delicious. Maybe I'm not very objective, because I was the one who cooked it...And I must say I was starving yesterday after work, so I would've probably eaten a cockroach with sauerkraut, bananas, grapes and some gorgonzola and it would've still seem delicious to me at that point. But then again - anything with gorgonzola is a winner to me.

That's why I made the test - The Day after Today. Or as most people call it - Tomorrow. It's a pretty simple test. You just eat the leftovers from the day before, at a time when you're not starving out of your mind and decide whether you like the meal or not.

OK!!! I admit it, I just made up the test thing. I simply had the leftovers from yesterday and ate them. I didn't lie that they tasted good though.

How did I come up with the idea for this dish you ask yourself?

Simple. I bought the chicken breast (that I was craving the entire day) from my Turkish friend around the corner. All of the vegetables were already in my fridge, laying there for a while now, getting stinky and kinda soft.

And this is my problem with vegetables! Ring the alarm, we have a vegetable problem! I always buy a lot of it and think that because it's in my fridge, I would prepare something with it and wouldn't eat crap. WRONGGG! You can't imagine how many vegetables I have to throw away every week. Of course the ones that are any good I cook. And on top I spend my money on some fat- salt and -toxins loaded crap, I buy in the streets. So making this dish was my way of saving these delicious and  antioxidant bursting vegetables.

Now to the recipe.

INGREDIENTS

2.5 cups (350g) chicken breast (chopped)
1 eggplant
2 small green peppers
2 medium tomatoes
1 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup coriander leaves
1 cup raw spinach
1 garlic clove
olive oil (1-2 tbsp)

DIRECTIONS

1. Chop the chicken breast and steam in a big pan (covered) for 10 min at the second highest temperature.
2. In the mean time chop, slice, dice all the vegetables.
3. Next up - when the chicken is steamed - add the olive oil, garlic (pressed), chopped eggplant, tomatoes and peppers. This is the before

 ... and this is the after picture. After 10 min steaming that is.

4. Turn off the heat and add all the green leafy vegetables at last. Leave for 1-2 min

5. Oh yeah I added some olives also. Why? Because I had olives and I love them. Keep it simple.

Makes 2 big portions, each 445 kcal, high in pretty much all the good stuff - protein, iron, potassium, zinc, vitamin C and phytochemicals among others.

I served this with some delicious white bread and I don't intend to eat whole grain bread ever again. It doesn't taste right.

Today with the leftovers I didn't have any bread and added a cup of bulgur and stewed again. Looked like this

and again was delicious.

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Thats delicious. Have to start this diat though... I feel like pig :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha u're not a pig, u're a beautiful person

      Delete